Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

island living





White kitchens + kitchen island = kitchen nirvana

Perhaps because it appeals to my sense of form & function;
coupled with the fact that kitchen islands encourage people to "gather around".
Much easier to get everyone involved in the cooking process right?
 
It's interesting how our entertaining habits have evolved in the last couple of decades.
Is it just laidback Sydney, Australia or is it like this everywhere?
We tend to prefer the informal, casual style of entertaining where everyone pitches in and compares cooking notes.
I still love to lay out the good china and silverware...old habits etc.
But if you're eating at my house, you will generally be pressed into service upon arrival.
 
A friend of mine recently announced that they were building a new house and weren't going to even bother with a formal dining room as it takes up so much floor space and rarely gets used. 
They were opting instead for a "great room" which encompassed gourmet kitchen and long kitchen table that can seat 12.
I can absolutely see her point.
I can't remember the last time I went to a dinner where we sat at a formal table and the host or hostess served us.
I think it might have been 1997?
 
Off on a tagent I go....
 
Back to kitchen islands....

Here are some images from my "dream" file. 

French country...my favourite. 
{Although I'd be too afraid to use the vintage tea towels}


A different view of the kitchen
I adore the kitchen table with the hydrangeas.  Bliss.
My parents have that same lamp that hangs over the table.
For years we have all teased them about how horrid and 1970's it is.
More fool us.
I've been eyeing it off recently and asking some pointed questions about future intentions.  Shameless.


I could stand and cook in this kitchen and keep an eagle eye on the goofballs. 
Like command central....love it!
I can see myself directing traffic with a wooden spoon.
The handles are a particular favourite of mine also.


At some point in my life I'm going to have to have some subway tile, somewhere in my home.
It speaks to me.   
I'm not sure what it's saying, but it speaks to me in a deep and abiding way.


Love the touches of green and bamboo here.


If you look closely you'll see that this kitchen has not one, but TWO islands.
What's the collective noun for island again?
A constellation of islands?
A pride of islands?
An archipelago?
How about an envy of islands?
There is enough bench space here to keep my mother entertained for hours - she's a bench wiper...
you know the sort, never happier than when she's got a cloth in one hand and spray 'n' wipe in the other.


Gorgeous.  
As beautiful as this kitchen is, all I can think about is how much Bugsy and Mr Magoo would love to get on their ride-on tractors and scream across this expanse of hard floor, yelling "Oh Yeah!!"


Clever painting behind the overhead cupboards. 
Oh, yes subway tiles, I saw you there.


So purty.

Gorgeous, super-functional, hardworking island.  Great place for a dedicated wine fridge too. 
Handy for when witching hour became all too much.
Divine lights over the island.


This looks like it would be a dream to cook in.  A cook's kitchen
Love the collection of cooking utensils next to the stove.

Oh my.  This oven is surely French?  I am not worthy.


And of course, the ultimate island.
You can always trust a Diane Keaton movie to come up with the goods.

Here are some favourite kitchen islands from the blogosphere...


This is where someone I actually know, actually gets to cook.
This is Sharnel's kitchen from "My Life - My Loves".
She is as delightful as she is talented.
I can assure you that the rest of her home and her blog is an extension of the loveliness displayed above.
Every thing in this kitchen is perfect.  Not one thing I don't love.  Pop over to her blog for the tour.


From "the House That A-M Built"....a blog detailing this homes build from start to finish.  Every room is drop dead gorgeous - the kitchen is no exception.  The butler's pantry!  Be still my beating heart.


From the well known "Whatever" blog....details, details, details....from the chandelier to the gumball machine...love it.



From the ever-stylish and inspiring Kim at Mimi Charmante.

By the way, all of these women have families which include young children and busy lives.
Ladies - I salute you!




Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar